Demonstrate the relationship between metabolism and balance by completing the following case study. Spelling and grammar graded. Complete sentences required.
Jay G. is a 16 year old school athlete on the football and baseball teams. He recently developed three dental caries. His classmates have encouraged him to a eat a high-protein, low carbohydrate diet. His mother is concerned about this.
1. What points would you mention to his mother?
2. For increased energy expenditure, what should the primary source of nutrients be?
3. Would decreasing dietary carbohydrate content have a positive effect on the rate of dental caries?
4. What is the effect of high-protein intake?
5. On a high-protein , low-carb diet, where would most of his energy requirements come from? Is this good or bad?
6. Which vitamins are important in the production of energy?
7. Is the diet varied? Does the diet provide recommended amounts of fruits, vegetables, grains, and other nutrients?